As an expert in the tech industry, I’ve encountered several issues with Dell desktops, including the XPS 8700 shutting down unexpectedly. However, one of the most frustrating issues that users have reported is the inability of the desktop to stay off, even after shutting it down.
It appears that several different factors can cause this problem. For example, it could be due to a faulty power supply, a problem with the motherboard, or even an issue with the operating system. Further diagnosis of the problem is necessary to determine the root cause.
If you’re experiencing this issue with your Dell XPS 8700 desktop, it’s important to troubleshoot the problem to find a solution. In the following sections, I’ll outline some potential solutions to this problem that you can try to get your computer up and running again.
Troubleshooting Dell XPS 8700 Desktop Not Staying Off
If you are facing the issue of your Dell XPS 8700 desktop not staying off, there could be several reasons why it is happening. However, there are some troubleshooting steps that you can try to resolve or at least identify the cause of the problem. Below are some of the potential solutions for this issue.
- Disable Fast Startup
Fast Startup is a feature in Windows that allows for a quicker startup after shutdown. However, it can sometimes cause shutdown issues and even cause the computer to restart instead of shutting down. Disabling Fast Startup may solve the issue of your Dell XPS 8700 desktop not staying off.
Here’s how to turn off Fast Startup:
- Click the Start button and type “Control Panel”.
- Open Control Panel and select “Power Options”.
- Click on “Choose what the power button does” from the left-hand side of the window.
- Click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable” at the top.
- Scroll to “Shutdown settings” and uncheck “Turn on fast startup”.
- Click on “Save Changes”.
- Check Power Settings
Sometimes, the power settings on your computer can cause it to restart instead of shutting down. To check the power settings, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start button and select “Power Options”.
- Click on “Additional power settings” on the right-hand side.
- Click on “Choose what closing the lid does”.
- Make sure that “Do nothing” is selected for “When I press the power button” and “When I close the lid”.
- Click on “Save Changes”.
- Disconnect External Devices
External devices such as printers, scanners, and external hard drives can sometimes cause issues with shutdown. Disconnect all external devices and try shutting down your Dell XPS 8700 desktop again.
If your Dell XPS 8700 desktop is not staying off, try the above troubleshooting steps to identify and resolve the issue. By disabling Fast Startup, checking power settings, and disconnecting external devices, you may be able to solve the issue and successfully shut down your computer.
Dell Desktop Does Not Stay Off XPS 8700
If your Dell XPS 8700 desktop is having trouble staying off, there could be several potential power settings or hardware issues. Here are a few things to check:
- First, ensure that the power button on the front of the desktop is not sticking or malfunctioning. If this is the case, it could be causing the desktop to turn back on immediately after being shut down.
- Check the Power Options settings in the Control Panel to ensure the desktop is configured to shut down completely when the power button is pressed. If it’s set to “Sleep” or “Hibernate”, it may not turn off.
- Ensure that any connected USB or peripherals are not causing the desktop to wake up. You can check this in the Device Manager by going to the Properties of each device and looking for a “Allow this device to wake the computer” option.
- Check the BIOS settings to ensure that the desktop is set to stay off after being shut down. Look for an option under Power Management or similar that controls what happens after shutdown.
- Lastly, there could be an issue with the power supply or motherboard preventing the desktop from fully shutting down. In this case, it may be best to consult Dell support or a professional technician to diagnose and resolve the issue.
By checking these power settings and hardware components, you may be able to diagnose the issue causing your Dell XPS 8700 desktop to not stay off. However, if you’re unable to fix the problem on your own, it may be best to seek the help of a professional to avoid causing further damage to your device.
Resolving software issues causing Dell XPS 8700 desktop to not stay off
If you’re experiencing issues with your Dell XPS 8700 not staying off, it may be due to software problems. In this section, I’ll walk you through some solutions to troubleshoot and resolve these issues.
- Check for Updates: It’s essential to ensure that your operating system and drivers are up-to-date. To check for updates, follow these simple steps:
- Press the Windows key and search for “Windows Update”
- Click on “Check for updates” and let it run
- Install any updates available and restart your computer
- Disable Fast Startup: Fast Startup is a feature in Windows that allows your computer to boot up quickly. However, it can sometimes cause issues with shutting down and restarting. We can disable it by following these steps:
- Press the Windows key and search for “Power Options”
- Click on “Choose what the power button does”
- Click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”
- Uncheck “Turn on fast startup” and click on “Save changes”
- Check for Malware: Malware can cause many issues with your computer, including preventing it from shutting down properly. You should perform a full system scan using a trusted anti-virus program to check for viruses and malware. Windows Defender is also an excellent built-in option for scanning and removing malware threats.
- Perform a Clean Boot: A clean boot is a procedure that disables all non-Microsoft services and startup programs. It helps to identify if any third-party software is causing the problem. Here are the steps to perform a clean boot:
- Press the Windows key and search for “msconfig”
- Click on “Services” and select “Hide all Microsoft services”
- Click on “Disable all” and then click on “OK”
- Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved
These solutions should help you resolve your Dell XPS 8700 desktop not staying off issue caused by software problems. However, if the problem persists, it’s suggested to contact Dell support for further assistance.